The fantastic city of Berlin is the theme of the next Lighthouse Late. It’s an interesting city with a fascinating history, diverse culture and real design appeal.
Here’s ten facts you might not know about this intriguing place...
1. Berlin is more than 9 times the size of Paris.
2. Berlin is home to three UNESCO World Heritage sites: Museum Island, its Modernism Housing Estates and the Palaces and Parks of Potsdam.
3. Berlin is the only city in the world with three active Opera Houses, Berliner Staatsoper, Deutsche Oper Berlin and Komische Oper Berlin.
4. Berlin is home to the largest department store in Europe; KaDeWe, it covers more than 60,000 sqft.
5. Berlin has around 1,700 bridges, even more than Venice!
6. It is home to the tallest building in Germany, the Berliner Fernsehturm (TV tower) which stands at 367 metres high.
7. Berlin is often said to have more museums than rainy days, it has around 180 museums.
8. Berlin is Germany’s biggest University City, with around 134,000 students. It is home to four Universities, four Art Schools and ten Technical Colleges.
9. The longest Street in Berlin is called Adlergestell and is 11.9km long.
10. The Brandenburg Gate is one of the most well-known landmarks in Berlin, it was designed by architect Carl Gotthard Langhans and inspired by the Acropolis in Athens, Greece.
Our Lighthouse Late in association with The List is on Friday 9th October. We will have live music from The Spook School, Apache Darling, Supermoon and headlining are FOUND. There will be talks, workshops, short-film screenings, a burlesque and cabaret performer and a craft market. The theme is Berlin.
The night is supported by Blue Moon Craft Beer, Caorunn Gin and Fentimans Tonic and ticket holders receive two complimentary drinks on the night (over 18s only).